Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Neutered Vegas (night 1)

Vegas isn't actually neutered, but I wasn't sure what the best adjective should be. 

And no, I didn't intend to let this blog sit dormant for a year. 

Once upon a time, I dreamed of celebrating a milestone birthday in Las Vegas. 

I had never spent a birthday in Vegas, but my 50th birthday seemed like a good one to spend in Vegas, for a variety of reasons. 

Then a pandemic began, and within a few months I had written off spending my 50th birthday in Vegas. There was no doubt that it wouldn't be the same Vegas I have known and loved, and I was certain my life partner wanted nothing to do with a pandemic vacation. 

We had alternate birthday plans in place, and then, out of the blue, my girlfriend asked me if I was still interested in going to Vegas for my birthday. With three weeks to go before the big 5-0, she said she'd be willing to travel. 

The decision was not automatic. A neutered Vegas was not exactly my idea of a dream vacation. We discussed the pros and cons and took the plunge. We booked a four-night trip, departing on my birthday: Oct. 7. 

We booked our trip on budget airline Sun Country. I used to love Sun Country. It's a homegrown airline, and offers direct flights to Vegas. And those flights are more affordable than the steady diet of departures offered by Delta, the local market behemoth. I loved Sun Country because it was well run and offered a pleasant experience from start to finish. A few years ago the company determined it needed to target the penny pinchers and compete with other such airlines. That means cramming a few more rows of seats into the plane and cutting other corners to keep the cost down, and the planes full. 

I'm not a big spender, but I have managed to avoid Sun Country in recent years, mostly because I've flown free via Southwest, albeit indirect, to Vegas. 

So my first Sun Country experience aboard the stripped-down airline turned out to be about what I expected. Nothing fancy, but not too painful. 

During the pandemic, I've heard stories, many stories, about how empty planes are. How airlines are cutting back on flights, struggling to stay afloat and leaving seats open to provide some semblance of social distancing. 

Not Sun Country. My Wednesday afternoon flight was full. I'm not the only person willing to gamble with my health, evidently. 

Yes, we're required to wear masks on the plane, and no snacks or beverages were made available, allegedly in the interest of public health. A few people didn't think masks were mandatory at all times, but for the most part people complied with the rule. 

After a boring, slightly uncomfortable flight, I arrived in Sin City. Sure enough, the airport on a weekday afternoon feels as barren as has been described repeatedly during the past several months. 

After picking up my rental car at Avis, which I had never rented from before and would rather not rent from again, it was off to the Orleans to drop off the bags and change clothes. 

For all the times I've stayed at Orleans, I've never been compelled to dine at their TGI Friday's. But I suggested stopping in there for a drink and appetizer since our dinner reservation was a late one that night. 

From Friday's it was off to the Golden Steer, the old school steakhouse that looks like some sort of cheesy steakhouse chain from the outside. The quirky strip mall location doesn't sell the ambiance, either. I had never been to Golden Steer, but it gets rave reviews, and I figured what better reason to splurge on a steak dinner than a birthday in Vegas. 

VIP seating for me.

My porterhouse steak and baked potato did not disappoint. And the restaurant most certainly has that authentic feel of yesteryear. 

Steak and potato, happy birthday to me!

The staff is what you'd expect from a steakhouse: Prompt, meticulous and professional. 

I won't make Golden Steer a regular destination, I don't often spend that much on a meal, but I will be back, without a doubt. 

Fun fact: Pandemic dining means fewer asses in the seats. In some restaurants, tables are removed. Not sure if any tables were removed at the Steer, but they had a fun way of designating tables as off limits. Here's one example: 

Seated at the table next to us!

I had suggested finishing our night at another new destination, The Golden Tiki. It seemed like the perfect way to wrap up my 50th birthday. But we had a late evening reservation at the Steer, and I was so full from dinner, and my complimentary 50th birthday dessert, that I couldn't rationalize trying to suck down a fancy cocktail at the Tiki. And I was tired. It had been a long day, given I gained two hours by flying west. I was ready for bed. No gambling on my birthday. I hadn't planned on it, anyway. I was tired and ready to relax, happy to have celebrated by birthday with a steak dinner in Vegas. 


No comments:

Post a Comment